Monday, July 9, 2007

Almost like the Fourth of July



This past week I missed 4th of July, which was a pretty sad feeling all day but got much better at night. When I got home from work my roommates had found the closest thing to hamburgers and made those for me. My Mexican roommate also bought me a present and she did all the cooking with my Chinese roommate. Although I didn't have any fireworks, BBQ, American friends/family, flags, or anything else I know 4th of July to be; it was a really good holiday. The hamburger-shaped meat on a bun, the singing of some patriotic songs requested by my roommates and the telling of stories about the 4th of July during dinner made it a great holiday. It was the "thought that counts " and I couldn't have been happier being in Turkey on this holiday.

Today is officially the half-way point of my internship, as well as about the half-way point of my overall time in Turkey and the rest of Europe. In that time I've made some great friends from around the world, but also from Turkey. I went bowling with a couple Turkish people I work with and I also play regular games of Tavla (Backgammon) with other co-workers during lunch time. Another co-worker has also invited me and my roommates to her family's vacation home on the beach about an hour and a half away from Izmir, which we will hopefully be going to in the next week or two.

I've gotten to know the city pretty well; I can get around with the language I have learned; I'm in the process of purchasing tickets for my travels around Europe after my internship finishes up in August, which is very exciting. Overall I'm real happy with the experiences I've had and where I am right now.

The next month will be quite busy before my internship ends as I have a report to finish about Turkish-U.S. Trade Relations. I also have pretty large activities planned for the next 3 or 4 weekends that I will be here (most around the beach or seeing ancient ruins that are near the city; also seeing the house Virgin Mary lived in just before she died). It's still a very exciting time, just as it was when I first arrived. I can't wait to see what else is to come in future adventures.

No comments: