Thursday, June 14, 2007

Week 1 in Turkey

The first week in Turkey has been nothing short of eye-opening. After finding the internship through a student organization on campus called AIESEC I arrived in Izmir, Turkey in the middle of the night to find all my roommates waiting up to meet me. I'm living in a house with people from 5 different continents around the world, all of which are working in trainee- ships/internships around the city and one local who is attending university here. The city is amazing; I take the boat to and from work everyday and get to see the mountains in the background towering over the Aegean Sea every time I look out the window. All the roommates and I have already been to the beach for a weekend and they've become good friends for only knowing them 6 days. I work at the Izmir Chamber of Commerce in an office building right on the water. It's just a typical office job with my cubicle and dress clothes everyday, nothing too exciting, but it isn't too bad. It is pretty weird working with people that are all speaking different languages around you in the workplace, but most of them speak a little English if I have a question so it works out okay after the initial shell shock of trying to get used to that. That's about all for this week: the food is different, but good; the weather is perfect; work is good; and the roommates are a lot of fun.

No comments: